Welcome Message

Marvel, Muse, Manifest, Materialize. Welcome to February Jones: The Blog. While you're here I might challenge some of your opinions, show you something you never knew before, or if you're lucky, I just might melt your brain and bring you a new way of viewing the world and your place in it. And I have accessories to help you remember these new ways of thinking! View my Etsy shop items just to your lower right in my CraftCult widget, or by clicking on the Merchverse tab above. See what some of my customers think in the Testimonial section, and check out all on my interweb featurettes in the Media section. You can even watch some awesome Etsy videos in the Etsy Fun! section. I hope you enjoy the World of February Jones and come back often, things are always changing.

Friday, November 5, 2010

Quantum Jewelry Collection

I love thinking about the nature of existence and this body of my work is founded on philosophical symbolism and subjects that encourage you to think about your place in the world and how you influence and are influenced by your surroundings and the nature of existence. I guess you could classify some of my pieces as commentaries on existential philosophy. In particular, I would like to share some details about the thought and influences behind my Quantum Jewelry Collection.

Current styles in the Quantum Collection include: Squiggles, Teardrops, and Rosettes.



Quantum:
     1. (Physics / Atomic Physics) Physics
          a) the smallest quantity of some physical property, such as energy, that a system can possess according to the quantum theory.
          b) a particle with such a unit of energy

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.

"Quantum" as a source of inspiration: On a fundamental level we are all examples of a Unity of Opposites. We are all unique examples of a Unity of Opposites. We are built of matter and energy and at the most fundamental level we are both. We hum with our own signature of vibrations of energy, our own unique quantum squiggle.

Visual Theme
Visually, all of these pieces are free-formed by wrapping, twisting, twirling and curling wire in different ways. The wire often follows an orbitally inspired path around some central point or area. I have used a wide range of colours in this early collection because I love the full spectrum and I'm still experimenting with the interaction of different colours and new wires as they become available to me. The dominant tones are pastels mixed with silver and gold, and some bright and vivid colours to satisfy my need for full spectrum inclusion and reflect the joy I find in bright colours.

Symbolic Theme
The orbital swirling is reminiscent of the interactions between very large bodies of stuff (planets and galaxies) and very small bodies of stuff (atoms and quirks and quarks). Our solar system is the sum total of all planets that orbit our star, the Sun. Every particle that we and everything else is built of are the sum total of all of the atomic "solar systems" that combine to form matter.


This collection shows different interpretations of the push-pull relationship that makes up our world. A balance between push and pull is what shaped each piece of jewelry- the symbolic relationship is built into the resulting object. It is this same balance that governs our planetary movement and physical make-up.

Each piece of jewellery has a central area around which the wire orbits. It is a piece of wearable art that is a symbolic commentary on the relationship between the smallest stuff of which we are made, and the largest stuff of which we are just a part.

Thought Wave
Atoms and compounds behave like solar systems and galaxies. You are made of many atoms so you are the same as the universe, and so is everything else. You are distinct and yet you are also an interconnected part of a much bigger whole. You just need to recognize that.

How might our behaviour change is you started to acknowledge that you were one with everything? How would you act towards others? How would your thoughts about consumption change? Would you see your job differently?

How would you change, if, every day you remembered that the whole world is a part of you?


I wear these earrings because I'm smart and unique.
I'm not afraid to ponder the unimaginable. Bring it on.
I think it's cool that atoms and planets behave in similar patterns. Coincidences rock!
I love being conscious and aware of the world immediately around me.
I love the idea of wearing thoughts on my ears... or around my neck... or on my wrists...

*Maria

1 comment:

  1. I love thinking about quantum mechanics, have you ever seen "Down the Rabbit Hole" it is about quantum mechanics and our human reality (and it is filmed in Portland!)

    I had an idea, you could title your earrings as quantum thought magnifiers, and you could offer a thought...to amplify ...with a set of earrings...

    Like "everyday I am noticing more and more ways in which the universe is on my side"

    Then a person could shop for thoughts, that they might not think of themselves...and as a gift, your earrings could be like a beautiful gift with almost a greeting card aspect, because there is a thought offered with it...

    That idea just popped in..so I had to share it.

    Also have you seen "The Secret"...one of my favorite movies...

    Heedless

    ReplyDelete